This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, September 4, 2011

Why Do You Give?

For those who prefer giving over receiving, let me ask you, “Why do you give?” Have you ever thought about this? If I brainstormed this question with a group, I expect we’d list reasons such as: it feels good; because it’s better to give than to receive; to avoid feeling guilty about receiving; because I can – I have the time, the money, the talent, etc.; because people need me to; to express my gratitude; and because others have given to me. We also might get some less than positive reasons such as I give because I have to, it’s expected of me, or some other variation of “I’m obligated to.”

What do you think about giving so you can receive? Having studied this process, I know it’s not possible to give without receiving, as I’ve said a number of times. When we feel the need to receive, is it wrong or perhaps counterproductive to give as a way to increase our likelihood of receiving what we need? I don’t think so. First of all, I can’t forget what I know. I know giving will facilitate my receiving. I can’t blindly give without at least a passing thought that I might be more inclined to receive, especially if my need is pressing. Second, I think we rarely are so single-minded that we do things for only one reason. I give for many of the reasons I listed above, so if one of the reasons I give is so that I can receive more easily, so be it. Finally, lots of prosperity teachers, Catherine Ponder for one, suggest giving more as one of many ways we can enhance the flow of good into our lives.

The important thing is the spirit with which we give. Ideally it’s not out of obligation or just so that we can receive more, but rather because we can, we truly want to, and we know everyone will be blessed as a result.

2 comments:

Cynthia Horn said...

Namaste and a "heart of gratitude" to you Joanne! My first time on your site. I enjoyed the video - to "see" you sharing about your "Worth Waiting For" book. I just spent this Labor Day weekend reading it and so enjoyed it! I adore books that fully articulate in practical, wise & loving ways what I know to be MY truth! (BTW-I love your updated pix also - creative, colorful and as vibrant as I'm sure you are!)

I too took a prosperity course with one of the ministers you mention in your book and my heart has SO opened to not only giving more in all areas of my life but RECEIVING! In June I was able to take (note: "RECEIVE") a 3 week mini-sabbatical from my work at a PHX non-profit and attend a "donation only(!)" 5 day Yoga Teacher Renewal retreat and enjoy some personal retreat the remainder of my time off in Tucson, Prescott & Sedona. Last month I received a $300 gift to the Flagstaff Yoga Festival and this next weekend I am going to a $997 REJUVENATE TRAINING for Heart-based Holistic Practitioners in L.A. that I was gifted with. (I work holistically with both people & pets). Those are just some "biggies" -- I have these "graces & blessings" popping up unexpectedly ALOT. And in my "dating scene" I am learning to "receive" the abundance and generosity the universe has to offer as I honor my self, my truth and share from my heart space. Today's my day off and a new gentle man friend will be taking me to the lovely and delicious "Chakra 4 Tea House" for lunch. RECEIVING with GRACE is the sweetest, most adventurous and playfully fun way to truly LIVE abundantly in a sometimes challenging world.

Thank you for what you're doing in this world Joanne. Bless You! Aum, Peace, Amen to all.

Joanne Deck said...

Cynthia, what a joy and blessing it is to hear from you and how you are truly receiving with grace and ease. As a result, you are giving others the opportunity to share, show their gratitude and appreciation for you, and generally feel good. Thank you for living the message so well!