This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, January 8, 2012

Letting Go of Guilt

Do you feel guilt when you receive? It’s critical to face this feeling, not just because to live skillfully we must receive, but because guilt is so destructive. According to Dr. David R. Hawkins, unconscious guilt “results in psychosomatic disease, accident-proneness, and suicidal behaviors” (Hawkins, D.R., Power vs. Force, Carlsbad, CA: Hay House. 2002, pg. 77). In his energy field analysis, guilt scores a 30, with only shame coming in lower with a score of 20, while enlightenment rates 700-1000 (ibid, pp. 68-69).

It was the wonderful Rev. Lei Lanni Burt who helped me make great strides overcoming my guilt about desiring more. At the time we met, there were many things in my life that I wished were different. Some were major, like eliminating my credit card debt, and others were less significant, such as having towels that matched and weren’t frayed. But the idea of asking for more, even the towels, made me uncomfortable. How could I ask for more, when I already had so much? After all, I was a healthy, white, educated American woman living in the 21st century. I felt guilty wanting more. If I did manifest more abundance, shouldn’t I give it to those living in poverty?

Rev. Lei Lanni put my mind at ease when I shared my guilty feelings with her. Her response was quite logical and made perfect sense to me. God is my source and God is unlimited. My having more does not take from anyone else. I can be free from credit card debt and have new towels (and a whole lot more are those I create.

I urge you to notice when you resist receiving. Ask yourself what is behind the resistance. If there’s an element of guilt, keep Rev. Lei Lanni’s perspective in mind. Your receiving doesn’t deprive anyone and neither does your guilt serve them.

No comments: