This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, December 2, 2012

You Are Not What You Feel



As I pointed out a couple of weeks ago, many spiritual teachers caution strongly about the ways we phrase things. While I agree about avoiding limiting language, I do think the issue can be taken too far.  For instance, when it comes to weight loss, some say we should “release” weight, not “lose” it, I guess because we might find it again.  Or perhaps it’s because “loss” has such a negative connotation.  After working for Weight Watchers for five years, though, I’ve seen hundreds of people successfully lose weight, so I hold no fear of the phrase.

David Friedman makes a point about wording that I think is well worth considering, however.  He suggests that we should exchange “I am” with “I feel” much of the time.  As I understand him, “I am” statements are best reserved for declarations of truth about ourselves, describing characteristics that are immutable.  Let’s say “I am a child of God” but “I feel hungry.”  Or “I am divinely blessed” although I may “feel” frustrated, disappointed, or angry.  Saying we feel these things rather than we are them acknowledges that they’re temporary situations, not a way of being.

When it comes to enhancing our ability to receive, let’s keep the “I am” statements positive and know it’s okay to acknowledge our feelings at that moment: I feel limited from time to time, but in reality I am prospered when I remember that “I have a rich Father who’s taking care of this,” (to borrow one of Charles Fillmore’s most delightful affirmations).  I feel impatient, but I am on the way to realizing the abundance I desire.  I am grateful, and I am capable of receiving all I need with grace and ease.  How about you?

No comments: