This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, July 18, 2010

Receiving Financial Prosperity

As I mentioned last time, financial prosperity has eluded me, despite doing all I could to bring it about. About the time I began tithing, I quit my full time job to do what I loved. At the time I was married to my daughters’ father and he had a job he loved. Now it was my turn. I began adjunct teaching at two local colleges, became a Weight Watchers leader, and started as a contract management consultant. For several years I juggled these jobs and eventually left Weight Watchers, became certified as a wellness consultant and lifestyle coach, and started my own wellness business. I continued management consulting, for a large firm and also on my own, and settled into teaching for just one college, Rio Salado. In 2007, I became a certified Jazzercise instructor and taught classes three times a week. Over the years, I took business and spiritual classes, completed a mentoring program, developed a website, and embraced Internet marketing. Still, my financial picture did not shift.

At the beginning of this year, I decided I’d had enough. My book, Worth Waiting For: Sane Sex for Singles, was published, but I had no time to promote it with all I had going on. I concluded that things were going to have to change, beginning with me, or I would go back to working full time for an employer. I made a commitment to write a book on receiving and began journaling every day. In March I gave up the good, my wonderful Sun City West Jazzercise classes, to make room for the greater. I began blogging, cleared up the piles that had accumulated on my desk, and started making new connections by attending networking groups again. Daily I asked Divine Intelligence, which always knows the way, for guidance.

About seven weeks ago I was inspired to write a new vision for my professional life and finances. It was clearer and bigger than I’d ever envisioned before. It would mean letting go of my old life and playing in a much larger arena. I have it posted in my home, carry it in my wallet, and read it every day, along with the Prayer of Jabez. I’ve decided that the reason prosperity did not materialize for me was because my true heart’s desire was to be in what Gay Hendricks calls my zone of genius. I need to make the Big Leap, even bigger than quitting my old job and starting a business. The business I’d started was in the same realm of where I already was, in my zones of competence and excellence. It was not a big enough stretch and did not “enlarge my territory” as Jabez put it. My new vision will do those things and more.

But if the money had come along the way, I doubt I’d be pursuing this vision right now. Stay with me as I live my vision, trusting that, “the moment one commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no one could have dreamt would have come their way.” (W. H. Murray)

No comments: