This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, March 11, 2012

Get Ready to Receive

“Man must prepare for the thing he has asked for, when there isn’t the slightest sign of it in sight.” Florence Scovel Shinn

In 1925, teacher and metaphysician Florence Scovel Shinn advised her clients to get ready to receive whenever they needed or desired something. For instance, she had them buy a wallet when they needed money. This advice has stayed with me over the years, and it paid off in a big way for me recently.

My husband and I recently bought a home together and decided to lease the house we’d been living in, one that I owned before I knew him. When we first put the house up for lease, we were flooded with interest, but had nowhere to go. We took the house off the market until we found our new home, only to find potential lessees had dwindled when we put my home back up for lease just several weeks later. We moved forward and closed on our new home without a tenant for the first property.

The weekend after our move, we went to our old house to do the final cleaning. As we were working, I kept “calling in” our tenants. I told them I was blessing our home and preparing it just for them. I imagined that whoever these people were they would be as happy in the home as I had been. As my husband and I were finishing, our realtor pulled up. She had scheduled a showing, thinking we wouldn’t be there. We concluded just in time, and those folks ended up loving our home and signing the lease just four days later, exactly when we had hoped to have it leased!


I am convinced that Shinn is right: we must be ready to receive in order to do so. Have you done all you can to prepare for your deepest desire?

No comments: