This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, March 4, 2012

A New Take on a Lenten Practice

It’s Lent, the 40-day period before Easter. It began this year on February 22 and will end with Easter Sunday on April 8. Historically many Christians adopt special practices during Lent, particularly around fasting. When I was young, we were encouraged to “give something up” as a way of sacrificing, similar to Jesus’ sacrifice (well, not exactly since it was hardly comparable, but you get the idea). Chocolate, dessert, and other treats were commonly selected from which to abstain, and for years I followed suit.

In more recent years, my spiritual communities have suggested to members that we give up habits and behaviors that do not serve us, such as complaining, feeling guilty, or blaming others. If you’ve never tried it, I encourage you to. Eliminating any of these will enhance your ability to receive. This year, I’ve committed to being aware of my tendency to want just enough (which is the result of holding a fear that I won’t have enough of whatever I need). This Lent I affirm that I have plenty, plenty, plenty – of time, energy, money, clients, new ideas, opportunities to serve and be blessed, and so forth.

What would it serve to give up this Lent? Is there a fear-based habit that prevents you from receiving all the good that’s available to you? Give up chocolate, if you must, and also give some thought to going a bit deeper for an even greater result.

No comments: