This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, May 30, 2010

Guilty Receiving

When I first discovered New Thought teachings, it was at Unity of Phoenix, with the wonderful Rev. Lei Lanni Burt. The idea that I could be more effective in my praying and make my life easier simply by changing my thinking was new to me, and I found it very exciting. There were many things in my life that I wished were different. Some were major, like eliminating my credit card debt, and others were less significant, such as having towels that matched and weren’t frayed.

The idea of asking for more, even the towels, made me uncomfortable. How could I ask for more, when I already had so much? After all, I was a healthy, white, educated American woman living in the 21st century. I felt guilty wanting more. If I did manifest more abundance, shouldn’t I give it to those living in poverty?

Rev. Lei Lanni put my mind at ease when I shared my guilty feelings with her. Her response was quite logical and made perfect sense to me. God is my source and God is unlimited. My having more does not take from anyone else. I can be free from credit card debt and have new towels (and a whole lot more if I want) without impacting anyone else. The only limitations on my supply on those I create.

Do you feel guilt when you receive? I’m sure many people do and for a variety of reasons. It may help you to keep Luke 12:32 in mind: “It is the Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”

No comments: