This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Of Course I’m Ready to Receive

When you think about receiving, does it seem like a no-brainer? Of course I’m ready to receive! Who wouldn’t want to receive? It sure seemed that way to me…until I started really thinking about it, especially when things don’t show up the way I expect them to. It’s easy to imagine gratefully receiving a four-day weekend trip to San Diego. But what about when the planned two-night trip turns into a four-night stay due to car trouble? I found that it was not very easy to receive the extra two-days exploring San Diego. Worry about missing work, getting coverage for my Jazzercise class, and paying for the car repairs crowded out my enjoyment of the good things that came. I was stuck there, one way or another, so why not enjoy it? Thankfully my husband, Roger, is a skillful receiver who really lives life to the fullest. He filled our time with wonderful adventures, and I ended up receiving much more than I would have managed to on my own.

As I reflect on it, I have a certain bit of anxiety about every vacation I take, particularly now that I work on my own. When I was in the corporate world and received paid vacation, it was much easier to receive the time off. If you are self-employed or work part time or on a contract basis, you may well know what I mean. Most of us only get paid when we work, so receiving time off means not receiving a paycheck. Typically, I still manage to go, reminding myself that my needs are met and my taking a vacation is good for me on many levels and not an extravagance.

It doesn’t have to be a full blown vacation that triggers these anxious feelings of worry and guilt. I remember feeling the same way when Roger and I were given tickets to a great show at the last minute, so I had to quit work a bit earlier that day than I had planned. It might be the unexpected call from an out-of-town friend who can only see you that day or the networking event that would take you away from the office, but give you the social interaction you’ve been craving.

Over the next several months, we’ll look at many of the reasons why receiving can be difficult. For now, try to be aware when you feel constricted and anxious about the opportunity to receive. Just recognizing your reaction can help you identify its source, allowing you move past the feelings and truly open yourself to receiving all that the universe has for you.

No comments: