This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, August 22, 2010

Research on People’s Willingness and Ability to Receive

When I tell people about the book I’m writing on receiving, it really seems to resonate with many of them. So I decided to conduct my own research on how well people are able to receive. I sent out a request for people to take part in my survey and received amazing responses, just to my inquiry. Here are some noteworthy observations from this initial inquiry:

• Twice as many respondents acknowledged having trouble receiving as those who said they received well. Sixteen percent expressed that they were still working on it and making some progress.
• Several expressed having a history of giving and then being found in a position of having to receive, due to illness or financial distress. They were greatly troubled and many expressed feeling guilty, even after years of giving!
• Two expressed feeling resentful and reluctant to receive because authority figures from their childhood used to give to them and then held the giving over their heads. They (the children) felt obligated to the adults because they had received.
• One psychotherapist noted that she knows people who are not “whole” today because they never had people in their lives who could receive what they had to give. See my blog from August 8, 2010 for my take on that.
• One respondent echoed exactly what I’ve experienced when we give, but fail to receive for some reason: we stop expecting to receive. This is something we must be aware of and overcome. See my July 25, 2010 entry for an affirmation to build expectation that you will receive.

These were just the replies to my inquiry, not to my survey. If you’d like to take part in my research, it’s not too late. Just visit this link to take the survey.

No comments: