This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, August 1, 2010

Watch Out Givers, Receiving is Inevitable

Many people tell me that they are uncomfortable receiving, but love to give. While I don’t enjoy their discomfort, I have to admit that this confession makes me smile. You see, giving and receiving are two sides of the same coin. Because it’s really one process, there simply cannot be giving without receiving taking place – on both parties’ parts. Therefore, their desire to give invites the very experience they wish to avoid.

Let’s take the example of when I was a Jazzercise customer. I would go to class and enjoy the wonderful set of routines and the instructor’s high energy level and clear cues. Her gift to me began long before the actual class, since she had to learn the routines and put together the particular set of songs she taught that day. I received a wonderful workout, the camaraderie of the group, and the enjoyment of the musical variety. I reflected my enthusiasm through my verbal responses to her during class and by my high energy level. Now that I am an instructor myself I can assure you that she received the fulfillment of seeing me have fun and work hard. She gave, and I received. As a result, I spontaneously gave back, and she then received. We did this all without much intentional thought beyond her first efforts to give.

Another clear example of giving and receiving comes from my Jazzercise experience. As a professional trainer, I always appreciated how difficult being an instructor must be. They have to know 16 routines averaging 3.5 minutes each so well that they can do them without notes and cue each move before we actually do it. They also have to cue backwards, because Jazzercise instructors face the class. When they say “right foot” they are actually using their left! I enjoyed the classes so much that I frequently praised and thanked the instructors for giving a great class. Recognizing that giving and receiving are a process, it’s not too surprising now to find myself getting regular compliments and appreciation from my Jazzercise customers. The praise and gratitude I expressed comes back to me over and over.

So givers, beware! Your giving puts you in direct line to receive. Please make an effort not to resist! Allow others the pleasure of giving. Recognize that you already are used to receiving: you receive the joy of giving when others receive what you offer. Embrace both giving and receiving, and we’ll all be blessed in the process.

No comments: