This blog is intended to create a dialogue about learning to receive with grace and ease.

So much has been written about the importance of giving that we forget that in order to give,

someone has to be receiving.





Sunday, August 29, 2010

Giving Up or Letting Go?

Two weeks ago I made the difficult decision to become someone else’s employee full time. I have not worked full time for anyone in ten years. I’ve had many employers in that time, both on a part time and on a contract basis. When finances have gotten tight, I’ve resisting looking for another full time job because I saw it as giving up. I tightened my belt, took on more contract work if I could find it, and prayed.

Lately, it’s just been too long without a steady, ample revenue stream. My discontent has become stronger than my longing to be a successful entrepreneur. I decided not to view it as a failure, but as a different path to my success. With a steady paycheck, benefits, and paid time off, I will be able to afford to contract out the work for my business that I’ve been doing (or striving to do) on my own. I’ll also be happier – and it’s about time I made that a priority.

Just this past week I heard another author express a very similar situation to mine. For years she resisted selling a prized possession, although she badly needed the money, because she thought it was giving in. She finally decided that she’d outgrown the item, so she really wasn’t giving in at all. The decision to release the possession brought her great relief and a sense of anticipation about what would come to replace it. When a void is created, the Universe is eager to fill it.

What is it that you’re resisting? Is there another way to see the circumstance? If you’ve been stuck a long time, as we were, I invite you to reconsider your decision. In the most positive way you can, visualize doing what you’ve been resisting and see how it feels. It might just be the breakthrough you’ve been seeking to get the flow coming back to you again. I’ll keep you posted on my job quest.

No comments: